Wednesday, January 4, 2017

CycleOps Training Rollers

What's Up!? 
This week: CycleOps Training Rollers



          As the first week of the new year, many of us have set resolutions to get fit and live a healthier lifestyle. I know I have set goals to train smarter, not harder. Well, if you are looking for a new workout routine, or have one but want to try something else, I would highly suggest cycling! Now...  a lot of you don't like to ride outside in the winter or think the roads are dangerous, but CycleOps makes it super easy by riding trainers and rollers indoors! Now the internet has so many great fitness apps like STRAVA and Garmin Connect it's easy to keep track of your fitness and have fun with it!

          Riding the rollers is something I do ALL year round. It's popular to ride during the winter months, which is definitely true, but it's good to mix it up in the summertime as well.  Here are some reasons why I choose to ride rollers:


1. Increased skill---
           I started riding my bike 4 years ago, I still look uncomfortable on it sometimes. I constantly have to work on focus, concentration, and coordination. I can visualize on the rollers and pretend like like I'm in a bike pack. I need to be able to hold my line, focus on my own body, and not worrying about what is going on around me.

2. Cadence efficiency---
         Cadence is basically the speed of your pedal. The more efficient you become, your legs are less fatigued over time and stop wasting energy. It is beneficial as a triathlete to work on a higher cadence so that we can run faster and more efficient off the bike. It isn't focused on power as much, which is another benefit because you are more focused on the process of what you are feeling.

3. Engaged muscles and mega SWEAT---
          You are constantly working on stabilizing your bike and body over the rollers. Without balance you fall over. You have to fight the movements by engaging your core and other stabilizing other small muscles. You also sweat A TON from being inside and stressing the body.

4. Change in scenery---
           It's something different to do then your typical routine of being on the trainer or riding your usual roads outside. Most days I will warm up and cool down on the rollers, but do my workout on the trainer.

5. It's FUN!---
        You can play around with the rollers. Play catch with your dog inside, you can bunny hop on and off, you can practice taking you shoes on and off, you can ride no handed, you can play Candy Crush, it's kind of turning into a game.


          

Beginning with rollers is tricky, so some ways to get comfortable with them are:

1. Start in a door frame, couch, or something stable
2. Look straight, focus
3. Take a chance and let go, you do it every day outside.




An easy 45 min workout on the rollers

10 minutes spinning (90-100rpm) focus on pedal strokes
5 minutes building to (110 rpm) rolling through the gears so you break a sweat
10 minutes (110 rpm) holding tempo effort at 80-05% HR
10 minutes (110rpm) with a 30 second surge, 60 second off
10 minute (90-100rpm) cool down, practice taking shoes on and off, drinking from bottle, etc.


Rollers are convenient, clean, easy to pack up, quiet, and easy to travel with.




Check them out!
Happy New Year!







No comments:

Post a Comment