Thursday, March 23, 2017

That One Second: Sarasota Race Report

What's UP!?

This week: Race Report Sarasota

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Life is a series of split-seconds.

We train months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds, for that one split-second decision that has to be made whether we are going to give up or fight.

It's a subconscious decision that we have to train our bodies and minds to make. It may be something we are born with, but it's definitely something that can be taught if we habitually practice over and over again.

Try not to think of Triathlon as one big race, but break it down into three sports, even further, break it down into the minutes and seconds. It's those split-second decisions where you train your mind to pick the right pontoon spot, to cover that gap on the bike, to go with the girl or guy when they surge passed you, or to lean or dive at the end of a race. It's that response that we are training our minds over and over again. 

That one second where:

Andrea Hewitt chose to out sprint Jodie Stimpson at WTS Abu Dhabi
or

Nicola Spirig chose to lean past Lisa Norden for the Gold Medal in 2012
or
When Flora Duffy breaks away from the pack on the bike

For Andrea, Nicola, and Flora, the outcomes were positive.
For Jodie, Lisa, and the rest of the pack, they were not.
They had to go back and think, "where was that one split-second decision that cost me the win?"


Fast forward to my Sarasota CAMTRI Championships

I was ranked 2nd to Taylor Knibb on CAMTRI points, but there were girls ranked below me that were higher than me on the ITU start list.  All these girls have strengths. Never pay attention to the start list, they are just numbers to keep you in line, don't ever let them define your race.

For the pontoon start, I just went far left and basically followed Taylor. Strong swimmers gotta stick together. However, there are always strong swimmers in American races. 

The horn went fast. I knew there would be some good swimmers, so I wanted to get a good jump. 
The first buoy was 200 meters out. Surprisingly, it was not very aggressive. Some years it's bad, but I also think it's where you start and who you start by on the pontoon has a lot to do with it. Taylor and I gave each other a lot of room to swim.

We rounded the last buoy and I came out about 6th. I wasn't worried. I knew there were some strong cyclists behind me that I could catch a wheel if I needed too. 

We got out of transition and on the long straight away. There were surges and surges and surges. A lot of heavy cyclist. True, Knibb, Spivey, Jaminkey, Brown, Boutin, a lot of girls with some series bike power. 

The course is the same every year. It's a 5km course with the west side, curvy and usually a head wind, and the east side has a long straight away with a tailwind. The transition is the tricky part that always splits bike groups because you go down hill into a sweeping right hand corner and you go straight into a sweeping right hand uphill turn out of transition. It's narrow, fast, and easy to break away if you're in the front. 

Image may contain: 1 person, bicycle and outdoor



For me that split-second lapse came around that transition. The second Taylor and Domi opened a gap it was like a slingshot effect off the back. I needed to position myself better, but by then every one was surging, to catch up. On the west side, I was behind a couple girls that I thought were going to close the gap and didn't. The gap grew and I finally went around them, but it was too late, I ended up frying my legs trying to catch front group. When I caught the group, it ended up being a pack of 4 that were just being dropped by the main group. I should've just went around them and tried to catch the front, but I needed break, lost all momentum and got stuck.

It's funny when you're in the lead group, you have no idea what is going on behind you, but when you are in the chase, you know exactly what is going on in front of you.

That split-second thought came into my head, I shouldn't positioned myself better, I shouldn't have let that first gap open up, I should've kept riding passed this chase group. It was frustrating. But you take these split-second decisions and practice for next time. 

We lost about 30 seconds coming into transition.

By that point my legs were fried. I came into run and I felt like a sloth. No pop.
I ended up 9th on the day, 5th American.

Congratulations to Joanna Brown who is a BOSS lady. Sarah True to fight back, and Taylor Knibb the rising star. Three talented young women.

After the race I got to meet up with some friends (Lauren and Candice Henry) that live in Sarasota, it's always a nice break to see them. 

Next Day... Mixed Team Relay




Mixed Team Relay

I LOVE mixed relays and super sprints!!
They are fast, fun, and I love the, ‘sprint to the death’ mentality!
I can't wait to see more of them in the future.

My USA Team was with Chase McQueen, Erica Ackerlund, Alec Wilimovsky

I lead off.
300meter swim was fast. I lead out of the water.



5km bike was just conserving energy enough for the run. 


1500m run went by way too fast.

Our relay team ended up 5th!

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor


This last month I have had so much fun being in Florida. 
I'm trying to convince my husband to buy a condo down there. 

I want to give a HUGE thank you to The Hovius Family (John, Jodi, Lachlan, and Joel) for letting me stay at the AAA camp. It's my favorite place for isolation training. The riding and running is beautiful and I have my own individual pool. They are always so welcoming. 

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, tree, outdoor and nature




Back to Colorado.

Thanks to my sponsors ALWAYS

Brooks
Huub
Oakley
Clif Bar
Amanzi Swim Wear
NYAC
Cycleops
WildFriends Nut Butter
Swiftwick Socks



No comments:

Post a Comment